Monday, August 4, 2014

The Bird Is In The Oven



The bird is in the oven.  It should be ready just anytime.

I’ve said in this blog that I felt Kindle Unlimited was too limited to me.

Then, I changed my mind, and said here that I’d return to being Amazon Exclusive again with my eBooks.  I fully intended to, of course, and even took steps in that direction.

I “unpublished” at Smashwords, and kept watching all of the outlets, waiting for them to remove my titles completely, so that I could go to Amazon and check that one little box.

But, I’ve had trouble.  Some were slow.  Then, I was down to the last two.  Finally, Flipkart removed my titles, so I was waiting patiently for Oyster to remove them.

But, my little voice was saying, “You might not want to do that yet.”  It kept nagging at me, as I waited for Oyster.

But, while I was waiting, three things happened that convinced me not to go with Select/Unlimited.

The first thing was that I heard about Draft2Digital.  Draft2Digital publishes to Apple, Kobo, Barnes & Noble, Page Foundry, and Scribd.

How is that different from, say, Smashwords?

Draft2Digital pays monthly.  Smashwords pays quarterly.  I like monthly.

The second thing that happened is that I realized that, even though I had five titles still enrolled in Select/Unlimited, not one of those titles had been borrowed!  Not a single one of the five.

And the third thing that convinced me?  A friend asked if she could download one of my stories to her iPad.  I said that she couldn’t do it directly, but she could install the Kindle app and download it.

She didn’t install the Kindle app.

Now, I’m a firm believer in listening to my little voice.  When it’s telling me something, I pay attention.  When all of these things happen while Oyster is delaying the removal of my eBooks, I’m convinced.

I uploaded my eBooks to Draft2Digital.  I “published” my titles again at Smashwords.  I’m already back on Inktera (Page Foundry), Kobo, Scribd, and will be on the rest soon, hopefully this week.  And, you can buy directly from me at oAuthor.com.  I'm working on a way to buy directly from me on my website, too.

Oh, by the way, the bird in the oven is ready, and I’m going to sit down and eat a little crow.  Feathers and all.

But, it’s all good, because it just means that my fans can…

Keep reading!

Michael (T. M. Bilderback)




Change.org Petition

No comments:

Post a Comment