Thursday, August 7, 2014

It's Never Too Early...Or Too Late



At what age do you begin a writing career?

Rex Stout, creator of the Nero Wolfe stories, was 48 when he created Wolfe in the novel Fer-de-Lance, and continued writing until his death in 1975, at age 89.

Christopher Paolini was 15 when he wrote the first draft of his novel Eragon.

I published my first novel, If You Could Read My Mind – A Nicholas Turner Novel, five years ago.  I was 49.

What age is the best age for beginning a writing career?

It’s a secret.  Shhh.  Don’t tell anyone, but it’s whatever age you happen to be when you begin writing that first manuscript.

My dad is 76.  He began writing some short stories and novellas a few years ago, mostly to entertain close family and friends.  They range from touching tear-jerkers to outrageous naughty humor.

I’ve been encouraging him all along to publish them.  I told him that I could walk him through the process, and get his stories out wherever eBooks can be sold.

Pop finally listened.  We’ve gotten four of his stories copyrighted.  My wife, Christi, who normally designs my eBook covers, has been so busy lately with getting her school classroom ready (she teaches art for grades 3-8), that I commissioned the covers for Pop’s books from someone else.  The last one will be ready early next week.  They look good, and enhance the story they represent.

The stories, three short stories and one novella, should be on sale late next week at 99 cents for the short stories, and $1.99 for the novella.

I invite you to check them out.  The titles are:  Ham Sandwich, The Pecan Tree, Cottage Cheese, and Sweet Potatoes.  Pop’s story-writing name is T. Whitman Bilderback.

Which just goes to show you that it’s never too late to become a writer.

And, as always, I encourage you to start your writing career.  Write a story!  And, the best way to learn how, is to…

Keep reading!

Michael (T. M. Bilderback)




Change.org Petition

No comments:

Post a Comment