Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I Found My Thrill



I’m thrilled!

I got word today from narrator Patrick Peterson that he should be through with the production of The Little Drummer Boy – A Justice Security Short Story this week!  I’ve heard the first fifteen minutes of the audio, and, as usual, it’s really good!  Once Patrick is done with his part, then we have to wait for the [dramatic pause]…validation!  Yes, the audiobook company’s validation process…which could take anywhere from two to four weeks…{sigh}

On another note, after I had written yesterday’s blog entry, I was scanning my titles on Amazon, and noticed that another review had been posted for Mama Told Me Not To Come – A Justice Security Novel.  When I read it, I found that the author had posted not just her first review, but a hate-filled few statements.  The reviewer said that she had gotten the book for free (in one of my ‘Free Kindle’ promotions), and still felt cheated.

For some reason, that review hit me hard.  It had me doing all the things that I had written about in yesterday’s entry.  I was feeling very low, and questioning both my abilities, and whether or not it’s worth it to continue writing.

I got in touch with one of my oldest and dearest friends.  Sharon told me “Don’t read reviews!”  I laughed.  If someone tells you to not think of an elephant, what’s the first thing you’re going to think of?  Then, she said that this was not a review from my peers, and I responded that maybe this person wasn’t a peer, but that the person was a reader.

I pondered on that last night.  Here was a reader.  A reader that not only didn’t give me any money for the work I put into that novel, but dissed it as hard as a person can diss something.  I mean, I could understand if the reviewer had paid for her copy…seems to me that she would have bought the right to be hate-filled.

Then, it hit me:  Why do I care?

I’ve never made it any secret that I’m writing stories that I would enjoy reading.  Basically, I’m writing to please myself.  If anyone else likes my work, that’s pure cake.  And, if they’re willing to shell out some money for the work I do, that’s the icing on the cake.

Honestly, as far as I’m concerned, that "reader" can take that review and poke it where the sun don’t shine.  With a vigorous twisting motion.

I didn’t write that book to please her.

I wrote it to please me.

Ultimately, that’s the only person that I have to please.

So should it be with your own writing.  Please yourself.  You have to enjoy your finished product, without worrying about others enjoying it.

Meanwhile,

Keep reading!

Michael (T. M.)

1 comment:

  1. Your destiny is not defined by 'fate'. It is defined by skill and by intention and a successful person allows circumstances to REfine.....not DEfine him. Consider it perhaps as one getting 'hit by a train'. I mean.....there the tracks ARE? It's not gonna jump out from behind a tree and come after you. If you have the 'stones' to stand on that track, you'd better know the train schedule......and be listening for the horn. You've 'stepped-up'.........I'm very proud of you and your wonderful stories. Shea

    ReplyDelete