Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Thoughts On Social Disease...I Mean, Social Media!



One of the things I find most daunting about connecting with you, the reader, is using Twitter.

If I tweet about a book on sale, I feel like I’m giving you a commercial instead of connecting with you.

If I tweet something personal, one hundred forty characters isn’t enough to convey anything worthwhile.

So, I’m reduced to shortening personal tweets to things I’m working on, or a book on sale, or a new translation of one of my stories.

I feel like it’s wasted time.

On my Facebook author page, I post lots of book-related things from others. I post wordy posts about any stories I have that are on sale. I share books from author friends that might be on sale or new. Occasionally, I post a comic book-related item to remind folks that I do collect them.

I don’t post a lot of personal things. Not on my author page, anyway.

How do other authors do it? I will never understand it.

I’m an outgoing introvert. A friend of mine finally figured out that all of my jokes, laughs, etc., are used as a way to keep people at arm’s length. To keep them from knowing the real me.

I do it almost unconsciously now.

It isn’t personal to anyone. I just am very introverted underneath the “hail-fellow-well-met” that is on my surface. Now, don’t get me wrong – I love to make others laugh, both in person and on the printed page, so to speak. And my real personality shows through in my stories in ways I never realized, until a close friend pointed it out. I never realized it.

My best and easiest way for me to let you see what I’m really like is through my stories, and through this blog. I write from the heart, and allow you a few glimpses from time to time of what I’m really like, what I believe in, and what I hold dear.

So, I’ll keep doing this blog from time to time…just to stay in touch. And I’ll keep doing an occasional tweet, and the occasional post on my Facebook author page.

Even though I truly think Twitter and Facebook aren’t the places for getting to know your favorite author…or me, either! {snort, giggle}

I want to hear from you, too. I have a comment section on this blog, or you can like me on Facebook and post something, or you can follow me on Twitter and tweet something to me. I will usually answer.

Unless you’re being snotty about me charging for my work. Then I ignore you! LOL

On another note, I’m working on several projects right now…I hope you’ll be pleased when I finally hit the “publish” button on all of them!

In the meantime, tell me your thoughts on social media. Is it a do, or is it a don’t? Whatever you do, please…

Keep reading!

T. M. Bilderback (But you can call me Michael)

Visit my website: www.tmbilderback.com

Follow me on Twitter:  @mrtmbilderback

Check me out on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/TMBilderback

No comments:

Post a Comment